An electric scooter is quite similar to a manual scooter with the main difference that an electric scooter is driven by an electric motor, which gains electricity produced by the batteries. Electric scooters are two-wheeled scooters with small, electric motors to power them. They are increasingly popular in many European cities and in the US. They have exploded in popularity since scooter-sharing schemes took off in about 2017 and are now available in more than 100 cities across the world.
Electric Scooter VS Gas Scooter
The motor scooters can be found as electric (e-scooters) or gas driven. Some of the major advantages of e-scooter compared to gas scooter are:
- Less weight
- Less maintenance
- Higher safety
- More eco-friendly
Features to consider
Each scooter is different from another with different specifications features. These features can be very technical and complex but in this article we tried to simplify them and provide a short summary that will help you make the right decision before considering of buying one that suits your needs.
Comfort always comes first. You should check properly that the scooter is comfortable. Make sure that the deck is comfortable to stand on. Also, make sure that the grips are comfortable to hold.
One of the most important feature to consider while choosing an electric scooter is the capacity of the battery. The capacity of the battery determines how far your scooter can travel in a single charge. Some e-scooters like the Xiaomi, can run up to 15 to 25 miles on a single charge.
Frame and Wheels
You must check the quality of the wheels properly while getting your electric scooter. That translates into wheels with sufficient cushion to absorb vibrations and not transfer them to your body. Bigger wheels will also provide you with more comfort and safety in the sense that they are able to go over bigger obstacles or rougher roads without skidding the scooter. A few scooters in the market are even equipped with a small suspension system to enhance comfort.
In regards with the frame, it is important to opt for a scooter with a strong structure and complete safety measures. In this case, the most lightweight scooter is not necessarily the most rigid one. All the approved safety standards are usually mentioned in the specification sheet by the manufacturer. One interesting feature to check related tot he frame is whether the scooter is foldable or not. Foldable scooters are much easier to carry in a bus, train etc. and stored more efficiently in apartments and generally small spaces.
For motors, the most important characteristic is power, expressed in watts (W). The indicated wattage represents how much electrical power a motor can consume. Motors with with high power usage can also deliver more power to the wheel. However, efficiency is important in this case. Some motors are more efficient (therefore, the delivered power is closer to the consumed power), while low quality cheaper motors can be less efficient which means greater amount of the available energy is converted to heat and not useful work.
There is also a difference between the “peak” power and “sustained”, or “continuous” power. Sustained power is the maximum power that a motor can produce and consume for a long period of time (until the battery runs out). Peak power is the maximum (very) short term power consumption, that is often 3 to 5 times greater than the sustained power.
Most modern good quality electric scooter motors are of brushless direct current (DC) type. Brushless motors are both more efficient and durable. They are more expensive since the required control unit is more complex and expensive.
The power of a motor can affect both the acceleration and the top speed. Many scooters are equipped with a powerful motor in order to allow a heavy rider to go up hills with no problems. Some of these scooters come with a controller that limits the top speed of their motor to around 25 km/h, since many of them are able to reach up to 80 km/h (50 mph) if the power is not limited.
Best Electric Scooters
In order to help you simplify your purchasing decision, we search an insanely large number of articles and reviews with the help of our smart Artificial Intelligent and Machine Learning platforms, process the results, analyse them and send them to our professional tech experts for further screening, to compile the golden shortlist, as we call it, with the overall Best Electric Scooters.
In order to come up with the Best Electric Scooters, our smart platforms and experts have taken many factors into account such as product fitness for use, features that meet consumer needs and give customer satisfaction, freedom from deficiencies or defects, conformance of standards, value or worthiness for money, reliability and dependability, quality of design, quality conformance to needs and regulations, safety, actual user satisfaction and many others. It is important to note that we prefer not to rank our selected products as different consumers have different needs (i.e. budget, storage space, functionality etc.). However, in the shortlist that we compiled, you can certainly find the overall best ones regardless of your needs.
Glion Dolly Foldable – Has a special folding mechanism and comes with a high quality suitcase to pack it up. It also offers a great battery range.
- Patented dolly and vertical self-standing feature with 1-second foot-actuated folding.
- Electronic anti-lock brakes and rear fender foot activated press brake.
- Front fork suspension for a smooth and comfortable ride.
- Clean, quiet, gearless hub motor powered by a 36 volt 7.8 ah lithium-ion battery.
- A portable, personal electric vehicle. Cover sold separately.
GOTRAX GXL – It is built with a high speed motor and a great battery range as well. It comes with a massive high quality 8.5” air-filled wheels to provide you with a safe and smooth ride.
- 8. 5" Pneumatic tires - making the GXL the ultimate commuting scooter for overcoming treacherous city streets
- 250 watt motor - our most powerful scooter yet, the GXL has a top speed of 15. 5Mph and holds a maximum of 220 lbs.
- 36V battery - the GXL travels up to 9-12 miles and recharges in about 4 hours
- Ul2271 Certified - ride safe knowing our E scooter batteries are Underwriter labs Certified
- Portable design - the GXL frame folds down and locks for easy storage making it a perfect commuting scooter. Scooter measures (44) inches high, (41) inches long and 6 inches wide when in riding mode. Scooter weighs (31) lbs.
Xiaomi Mi – It has a wide battery range having a mileage of 18.6 miles per charge. It provides great safety measures by featuring double braking system.
- [SCOOTER REPAIR PROGRAM]- Launching of Repair Programme for M365 Mi Electric Scooter with the Hook Made of Aluminium Alloy. Contact Xiaomi Support for more information
- [EXTREMELY FAST AND LONG-RANGE BATTERY LIFE] - A 250W motor propels the e-scooter to a max speed of 15. 5 MPH. High capacity battery with a maximum travel range of up to 18. 6 miles under specific conditions
- [PORTABLE FOLDING DESIGN] -Weighs just 26. 9 lbs. Portable folding design for easy storage at home or hand carry when necessary. The sturdy frame is made of aerospace-grade aluminum
- [DOUBLE BRAKING SYSTEM] - Features a disc braking and eABS regenerative anti-lock braking system for an efficient, responsive braking distance of just 13. 1ft. The large 8. 5-inch front
- [INTUITIVE AND EASY-TO-LEARN] - Intuitive controls simplify learning and use for all ages while improving safety. The scooter frame, components and accessories use the same geometric design language
XPRIT Folding Electric Scooter – Its framework is made up of aluminum-alloy that makes it very durable. It also contains good battery range and 8.5” size wheels.
- Full aluminum alloy frame durable and fast acceleration
- 8-13 miles range with single charge; 12.4 mph top speed; 200 lbs max supported weight
- LCD display for battery indicator (This model doesn't include Bluetooth feature; tail light is not including)
- An ideal transportation tool for short distance commuting; Easy to store: folding size 38"x15.7"x15.7"
- IMPORTANT: We do not recommend to use the scooter on wet roads or during rain as the unit is not waterproof. Any water damages will not be covered under the warranty. Normal charge time is 3-5 hours. We do not recommend overcharge battery.
NanRobot D5+ Foldable – It has the best battery range with a mileage of 50 miles on a single charge. It also contains huge 10” tires that make your ride smooth.
- 【SPEED AND RANGE】NANROBOT D5+ is built from the ground up as a high performance electric scooter, with two 1000W motors and 52V26AH Lithium battery pack allowing for a top speed of 40 mph and longest range of 50 miles.
- 【DUAL MOTOR ALL-WHEEL DRIVE】Electric scooter D5+ provides dual motors with independent traction to both front and rear wheels for unparalleled control. As a result, D5+ commuting scooter instantly controls traction and torque to every wheel, with a superior all-wheel drive system.
- 【EMERGENCY BRAKING】Adult scooter D5+ comes standard with the front and rear EBS disc brake system, it can brake stably during emergency braking to prevent impact.
- 【DAMPING SYSTEM】6 shock absorbers & 10" pneumatic tires provide great shock absorption that make kick scooter D5+ adapting to the roads of different terrains, reduce the bumpiness, improve the driver comfort.
- 【PORTABLE DESIGN】Folding mechanism allows D5+ folding/unfolding in seconds, it easily fits into cars' boots. And the power lock can better prevent thieves. Equipped with a bright headlight and turning lights ensure you ride safely in the dark.
Our intelligent platforms and dedicated experts work hard to provide you with the best product options. We believe that our review analysis can help you simplify your purchase decision and choose among the very Best Electric Scooters. At this point, you must be fully acknowledged by the essential factors that you must take into consideration while buying an electric scooter. In addition, we provided you with the top names of the electric scooters along with their specifications to assist you in choosing the best e-scooter according to your need.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why choose an electric scooter over a conventional motorcycle?
Economy: With gas prices hitting the red, the electric scooter is a smart and versatile transportation solution, far more economical than a motorbike or a car. Indicatively compared to a motorcycle the benefit of using is 5 – 8 $ per 100 km or 250 – 400 $ in 5,000 km.
Low maintenance cost: Maintenance costs are very low as the electric scooter requires the least amount of care each of us can provide. Battery charging and a standard check, mainly on brakes, are the main … service! So you do not need any fuel, small or large service and generally no costly “package” of expenses associated with owning a car or engine.
No driving license required: As long as the vehicle’s specifications do not exceed 25 km/h, a driving license is not required.
No registration required: Forget the bureaucracy and unnecessary expenses and enjoy your electric scooter (depending on the model) without commitments.
No security and no traffic charges: At times where people are trying to minimise their costs from everywhere, nobody wants unnecessary expenses. According to the law, electric scooters (depending on the model) do not require traffic charges and compulsory vehicle insurance.
Quiet: They help reduce noise pollution.
Ecological: Are you sensitive to environmental problems and love nature? You can now help save and preserve them. Circulating with an electric scooter reduces exhaust emissions and consumes the power of a conventional 100 W lamp, lit for one afternoon, for a distance of 30 – 60 km!
What range of speeds an electric scooter can reach?
Most Electric Scooters are regulated for speeds of up to 25 km/h to comply with the CCP and relevant EU/US legislation. The weight of the rider, the terrain, the weather, the slope of the road as well as the intensity at which the rider pedals, vary as much as the top speed, in some cases reaching up to 45 km/h! Models of up to 65 km/h are also available.
How far an electric scooter can go on a single charge?
Most electric scooters nowadays have large-capacity battery. Most motor vehicle drivers can travel about 35-45 km with a single charge travelling at low speeds. An important factor for battery autonomy is the terrain, the slope of the road and the weight of the rider.
How long does it take for a battery to charge?
Around 4 to 5 hours is the average charging time for a high-precision and/or longer battery life such as Li-Ion and NiMH batteries.
The cheapest sealed lead acid batteries may take 6 to 9 hours to charge.
How much does it cost to run an electric scooter?
Use and maintenance requirements are minimal. They are limited to controlling the brakes and charging the battery with an average of 40 km. Battery charge has a “cost” of 0.20 $ – 0.25 $ compared to the cost of gasoline and/or oil. Electric scooter transport is 34 times cheaper than a non-electric vehicle. Recurring COST, security, traffic and service charges on a regular basis! With the use of a scooter this geometrically increasing cost will no longer need to be a concern.
Best Adult Electric Scooters
Best Kids Electric Scooters
You may also like
- How does your garden grow?
- Water Filtration: A Necessity or a Luxury?
- Best Oven Parts & Accessories 2020
- Best Freezer Replacement Drawers 2020
- Best Women’s Cycling Jackets 2020
- Best Women’s Cycling Clothing 2020
Last update on 2020-07-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API